7/25/2006

Mark's thoughts . . . I like them

I just got this from my good buddy Mark. Mark spoke last year on the Believe tour and we are really going to miss him this coming year. There are times when those of us who are gifted musically are charged with manipulating an environment or moment spiritually. I know I have seen this happen. I am never pleased when I feel like people step over the line with their giftedness in this area. We should leave room for the intellect in our presentation of the Gospel. We should base our decisions on relationship with Christ and not solely on emotional moments. With that said, I propose that the “real” moment many times may just be the emotional moment. Our giftedness in the arts comes from the Master creator himself. We are created in His image. It is of no wonder that we have always had a sense that the arts can move people in “real” impacting spiritual moments. Check out what Mark sent me last week.
For all my friends who preach the gospel through music, here are a couple of quotes from Plato’s Republic, the words of Socrates:
III. 401. “Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, because rhythm and harmony find their way into the inward places of the soul, on which they mightily fasten, imparting grace, and making the soul of him who is rightly educated graceful, or of him who is ill-educated ungraceful.”
IV. 424, “For any musical innovation is full of danger to the whole State, and ought to be prohibited. So Damon tells me, and I can quite believe him—he says that when the modes of music change, the fundamental laws of the State always change with them.”
So I exhort you: Change music! Baptize it, publicize it, spiritualize it. You men are better preachers than I by far.

No comments: